All students, employees and guests of TUM can use Exchange. Read here how to activate and use your Exchange account.
Exchange Server is an e-mail and groupware system produced by Microsoft.
We recommend that you use the TUM Exchange system, since it offers many benefits:
- You can access your e-mails and use the calendars and contacts.
- You can set up collaborative resources for your organisation, including team calendars and common e-mail accounts, among other features.
- You have a huge storage space that can be increased if needed (not possible for students).
- You can call up your e-mails from anywhere in the world using webmail (http://mail.tum.de), whether it’s from a PC or a mobile device.
- To log in, use your TUM ID and TUMonline password.
Further information on Exchange you can get in the Exchange manual (German).
Every user of exchange can grant finely differentiated access to his ressources (eg. (parts of) mails, calender, etc). This allows completly new forms of cooperation.
For example one user can allow another to answer mails in her/his name or to take care of her/his appointments.
A especially useful feature is the publishing of free/busy informations in the calendar of Exchange. Thus it is easy to coordinate an appointment with other colleagues.
The publishing of free/busy information is activated by default, but can be deactivated by the user himself.
Worldwide Access to Your E-Mails
Exchange services can be accessed from everywhere – not only from the Munich Campus Net (MWN) – from PCs as well as from mobile devices like Smartphones.
To use the full functionality of Exchange only clients from Microsoft Outlook for Windows and Apple Macintosh can be used. For MAC computers also the Apple Mail Client is usable (from 10.6 „Snow Leopard“).
If you use Exchange Server together with an POP/IMAP e-mail client as Thunderbird, Exchange can be used as any other Mail Server. The groupware functionality is then not accessible.
You can also access Exchange via the web interface "Outlook Web App" (OWA). Log in with your TUM ID and password. All popular browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari) support the full range of groupware features.
Further information you can find in the Exchange manual.